Washington Street School Renovation

32 Washington Street
Fairhaven, Mass.

Year Built: 1902
Year Demolished: 1944,

In 1902, the Unitarian congregation moved into its new church building in Fairhaven, leaving its former church building (built in 1832) empty. Henry H. Rogers purchased the property and donated it to the Town of Fairhaven to be used as a school. Charles Brigham renovated the church building into a school. The school use continued until 1944. No remnants of the school design are known to survive.

The building was used as the Boys' Club in 1944, because the Fairhaven Activities Center in 1984 and in 2000 became the Northeast Maritime Institute.


References

• https://fairhaventours.com/washington-street-meetinghouse/, accessed October 17, 2018.

• National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form for Unitarian Memorial Church, Section 8, Page 3, October 22, 1996.

<<< Back to Design List


Architecture
Home Page


Feedback