St. Thomas Church

300 Somerville Avenue
Somerville, Mass.

Year Built: 1916

Brigham, Coveney and Bisbee designed a transept and chancel for this church in 1916. During the 1960s, the congregation dissolved, and since then the building has housed a nursery school, Haitian and Hispanic religious communities, and different nonprofit agencies. It is currently the Foursquare Church. The original church is wood but the addition appears to be stone or brick and a full story taller than the original portion of the structure.


References

• The American Contractor, July 15, 1916, p. 66, Brigham, Coveney & Bisbee noted.

• Sanborn Insurance Co., Somerville, Mass. 1933, Sheet 3

• Walker Atlas of Middlesex County, 1900, Sheet 19.

• http://www.somervillema.gov/sites/default/files/documents/hpc-union-square-walking-tour-2013.pdf, accessed on December 29, 2014.


Links

http://www.somervillema.gov/sites/default/files/documents/hpc-union-square-walking-tour-2013.pdf


Images


2014

<<< Back to Design List


Architecture
Home Page