Noyes Block, Freemasons Hall
50-54 Main StreetCharles Brigham designed a Freemasons Hall in Watertown in 1867. There was discussion about the design of this building in 1866 and 1867 and Brigham began his sketches in 1867. The building was completed in 1870.
Year Built: 1870
Year Demolished: ca.1920
Brigham expressed frustration with the Freemasons as the budget originally dedicated to this project was cut. Brigham wrote:
“The Masonic Hall at Watertown has proved a failure as indeed all our Masonic enterprises seem to do, but the building is to be erected nonetheless. We take off the French roof and make it two-stories high with a hipped roof. The plans are all made and delivered and the work commenced. The cost is about $11,000.”
• Letters from Charles Brigham to John Hubbard Sturgis, 11/20/1866, 12/12/1866, 11/26/1867, 3/16/1868, 4/20/1868, Sturgis Papers, Boston Athenaeum Library.
• Watertown Directory 1871, Freemasons' Hall is the Noyes Block.
• Letters from John Hubbard Sturgis to Charles Brigham, 11/23/1866 and 12/28/1866, Sturgis Papers, Boston Athenaeum Library.
• “Fiftieth Anniversary: Masonic Lodge Celebrates Occasion with Elaborate Ceremonies,” Watertown Tribune-Enterprise, December 13, 1907, p. 1.
<<< Back to Design List
Before 1920, the Noyes building is the one with Yerxa on the awning.