Edward D. Boit Renovations

271 Clarendon Street/91 Marlborough Street
Boston, Mass.

Year Built: 1870

Charles Brigham altered a townhouse owned by Edward D. Boit in 1870 that had been recently been built by George Wheatland and designed by Frank Jackson. Sturgis & Brigham had designed Boit’s “cottage” in Newport (“The Rocks”) and Brigham had warned Boit that he would not be satisfied with Jackson and Wheatland’s work.

The renovation included the addition of tile work to the fireplace, other “fittings” to the library which were procured in London by Sturgis, an exterior iron fence was added and perhaps more work was completed. The carpentry work was done by Thomas J. Turner.

It is unclear whether the interior elements that comprise this renovation survive. The exterior iron fence has been removed.



References

• Letter from Charles Brigham to John Hubbard Sturgis, 7/10/1869 (Brigham notes that Wheatland is the developer and Jackson is the architect; Edward D. Boit, Jr. to occupy the corner), Sturgis Papers, Boston Athenaeum Library.

• Letter from Charles Brigham to John Hubbard Sturgis, 2/4/1870 (Brigham is designing “library finish, iron fence, etc.”), Sturgis Papers, Boston Athenaeum Library.

• Letter from Charles Brigham to John Hubbard Sturgis, 5/18/1870 (Wheatland row house is on Clarendon Street at the corner of Marlborough Street), Sturgis Papers, Boston Athenaeum Library.

• Letter from Charles Brigham to John Hubbard Sturgis, 8/23/1870 (Brigham asks Sturgis to procure fireplace tiles in London), Sturgis Papers, Boston Athenaeum Library.

• Letters from Charles Brigham to John Hubbard Sturgis, 7/26/1870 and 8/3/1870 (other administrative details and commentary), Sturgis Papers, Boston Athenaeum Library.

<<< Back to Design List


Architecture
Home Page