Richard Codman House and Stable
St. Theresa AvenueRichard Codman Brigham worked with Charles Brigham to have his cottage in West Roxbury moved next to an excavated site. This site was originally supposed to be a new house for Codman designed by H.H. Richardson, but the plans proved too expensive for Codman and he chose to have his house moved and add an addition to make it larger. Additionally, Brigham designed a new stable.
West Roxbury, Mass.
Year Built: 1869
Year Demolished: ca. 1927
The Codmanís house was contracted for $7,579 (which did not include moving the cottage or the stone foundations and drains which was expected to be about $1,200 more). During construction, Brigham dealt with a slow builder and an impending winter season and spent considerable time prodding the builder along. Construction began in August, 1869 and was finally completed in December of that same year.
The house occupied what is today Roxbury Latin on St. Theresa Avenue. The specific location of the house and stable is where the Roxbury Latinís buildings are currently located.
<<< Back to Design List
• Letters from Charles Brigham to John Hubbard Sturgis, Sturgis Papers, Boston Athenaeum Library, June 27, 1869, July 10, 1869, August 18, 1869, September 14, 1869, October 5, 1869, October 18, 1869, November 2, 1869 and December 3, 1869.