Richard Codman Building, Lindall Block
9-11-13 Exchange PlaceThis building was built in 1873 and demolished sometime before 1908.
Year Built: 1873
Year Demolished: before 1908
It was situated on the southerly side of Exchange Place and constructed of freestone from the New Brunswick quarries of two distinct shades of stone with the lighter stone predominating. The first story was constructed with the entrances at each extreme of the façade. The entrance was between two stone piers, the blocks of which are of alternate dark and light shades. These were crossed in each instance by a molded stone lintel. The remaining space of the ground level shows three intermediate columns, giving four openings between the two entrances. These piers carried a lintel course of a bluish shade of sandstone, which extended across the façade above the lintels of the two entrances. The stories above the first showed two piers carried up in a manner corresponding to a central pavilion. These piers terminated at the main cornice, with which they were connected by brackets.
This pavilion section showed coupled openings in each story above the first. These openings were square, being crossed by a stone lintel beneath an arch. This arch at the second story was sprung between the piers and was segmental in form, which alternate light and dark voussoirs. At the third story, a semi circular arch was constructed above each opening, the openings were square-leaded in virtue of the lintel beneath the arch. The ruain cornice was above the third story windows. In the fourth story, the outer piers were less prominent and were connected by brackets with the cornice of the hip roof with which the central section of the building was covered. The two openings in this story were coupled like those below. The center pier or mullion of the second story window was of the darker stone. It was fluted and had a carved capital of the lighter stone. The mullion of the third story window was fronted by two shafts of polished mottled marble. These shafts had one carved capital. In the fourth story, the mullion had a single polished shaft. In the façade below the second story mullion, a projecting block of sandstone was inserted and is carved to represent a boar’s head. The sculpture work was done by James Priestman, a well-known artist.
The side sections had triple windows in each story above the first. In the second story, these were crossed in each instance by a dark stone lintel. In the third story, the central opening of the three was spanned by a gothic arch of alternate dark and light voussoirs, the lintel crossing each side opening was of the lighter stone. Also in the side sections, the wall was carried up perpendicularly above the main cornice and in the fourth story, as thus constructed, there were three openings in each side section. On each side of the hip roof of the central section, a pitched roof was constructed. In the side section of the façade there were brackets supporting the main cornice, but in the central section there were only brackets at the two piers. The mullions of the triple windows had also polished marble shafts with carved capitals. There were sill courses in the second and third story and a belt course between the two, carried across the façade.
<<< Back to Design List
• John Hubbard Sturgis Cash Book, 1/1/1871 – 12/31/1872, amounts received from Richard Codman on December 7, 1872 ($300) and December 21, 1872 ($163). Also, amounts expended for Richard Codman under "Sturgis & Brigham" on December 7, 1872 ($300), December 20, 1872 ($163), December 30, 1872 ($119.25) and December 31, 1872 ($250).
• “Names of Owners, Occupants, etc.,” Boston Globe, November 13, 1873, p. 2.