Washington StreetIn 1894, town benefactor Henry Huttleston Rogers commissioned Charles Brigham to build a new almshouse on the south side of Washington Street at the intersection of Sconticut Neck Road. Brigham's design of the Almshouse was exhibited at the World's Fair in Paris and won a bronze medal. It was described as a gracious and welcoming structure.
Year Built: 1894
Year Demolished: 1960
The building was designed in the Georgian Revival style and had a window cupola. There were 22 rooms to accommodate the poor. The building was demolished in April 1960.
• A Brief History of the Town of Fairhaven, Massachusetts, Prepared in Connection with the Celebration of Old Home Week, 1903, James L. Gillingham, Cyrus D. Hunt, Lewis S. Judd, Jr., George H. Tripp, page opp. 36 (picture).
• ?Poor Farm is Etched in Town's History,? South Coast Today, March 22, 2012, Myra A. Lopes.
<<< Back to Design List