Mary Alida Astor House Kitchen and Tower Additions
50 Narragansett StreetFollowing the Civil War, the property was owned by Mary Alida Astor, daughter of John Jacob Astor, to entertain high society in Newport. In 1872, the Rhode Island architectural firm of George Champlin Mason & Son was commissioned to design the main living room and music room. Later, in 1875, the Boston firm of Sturgis & Brigham added the three-story tower and kitchen wing.
Year Built: 1875
<<< Back to Design List
• "50 Narragansett Street, Newport," real estate advertisement, Lila Delman Real Estate, Newport, Rhode Island
• "A Newport State of Mind," Boston Sunday Globe, January 6, 2008, Gail Ravgiala, Real Estate