St. Andrew's Church
17 Church StreetA chancel was added to this church in 1881 (in the rear) and the interior was extensively reconstructed. Soon after, lightening struck the building which burned the spire and tower to the bell deck and shattering the front of the building. The bell tower and spire were built in a colonial revival style, conforming to the overall style of the building. Interesting quoining was added to the edges of the bell tower.
Year Built: 1881
• Journal of the Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Convention: With Appendices, Episcopal Church, Diocese of Massachusetts, 1881, p. 114. (Sturgis & Brigham drew plans for the enlargement of the building and the repairs when front of church struck by lightening.)
<<< Back to Design List