W.C. Foley Double House
95 Summer Street and 4 Pearl StreetBuilt in 1883. This house was numbered 33 Summer Street and 2 Pearl Street prior to May 31, 1912. William C. Foley was a blacksmith.
Year Built: 1883
Set within a neighborhood of 19th century houses, this Queen Anne house is 2½-stories with a hipped roof. Sheet metal cresting used to adorn the top along side a corbelled brick chimney. Decorative woodwork includes Stick Style elements below the eaves and varied shingles in the dormers. Three bays wide and three bays deep, the entrance porch opens beneath a three-story projecting bay on the south wall. Open fret-work atop the porch posts is elegant detailing from the period. The large 1½-story back ell is original but the side entrance has been modified. The ell contains an interesting jerkin-head gable, which lowers the massing of the house to a manageable level and the ell also contains some fish scale shingling. The windows on the house were mostly two-over-two lights before they were replaced. The roof was originally slate but is now red asphalt.
• Watertown Enterprise, May 30, 1883, p. 1 (double house for W.C. Foley drawn by Sturgis & Brigham and built by W.H. Macurdy).
• Massachusetts Historical Commission, Massachusetts Cultural Information System database, WAT.65
• Form B, Massachusetts Historical Commission, September 10, 1982, Form A65
<<< Back to Design List
1982, Courtesy of the Town of Watertown