Watertown High School Addition
Marshall StreetThis addition was added in 1873 to the original 1853 high school building. The addition was appended to the rear of the high school, which dramatically altered its massing and proportions--the old high school (which fronted on Common Street) appears to be appended to the addition. The building was demolished in ca. 1936, when the Phillips School was erected.
Year Built: 1873
Year Demolished: ca. 1936
• Town Reports, Town of Watertown, 1873, Auditor’s Report, p. 34 (Sturgis & Brigham, $250)
• Town Reports, Town of Watertown, 1873, School Department. p. 38 (Sturgis & Brigham, 46’ x 50’ addition on the south side of the high school).
• Watertown Sun, December 5, 1873, p. 2.
<<< Back to Design List
View from Marshall Street, Common Street at rear. The outbuilding on the left is likely a Sturgis & Brigham design. Courtesy of the Watertown Free Public Library
View from Spring Street. Courtesy of the Watertown Free Public Library
View from the north showing the original high school. The addition is appended to the rear.
ca.1900, showing Common St. side of building