Museum of Fine Arts, Additions

Copley Square
Boston, Mass.

Year Built: 1878

The addition was added in 1878 and comprise the south wings of the building.


• American Architect and Building News, April 13, 1878, plans for 1878 addition.

• "A Half Century of Bostonís Building," Charles S. Damrell, 1895, p. 68-69 (Sturgis & Brigham, architects on original and 1878 additions).

• "A New England Architect and His Work," Oscar Fay Adams, New England Magazine, June, 1907.

• "An Early Example of the Use of Terra Cotta in America: Art Museum, Copley Square, Boston;" Brickbuilder, 1911; Vol. 20, p. 46.


ca. 1875

After 1878 additions

ca. 1895, after 1878 additions

MFA before 1878 additions

MFA before 1878 additions

<<< Back to Design List

Home Page