Madison Public Library
9 Main StreetThis building was built in 1899, designed by Brigham and Willard Adden, is on the National Register of Historic Places and part of a National Register Historic District.
Madison, New Jersey
Year Built: 1899
This building is now the home to The Museum of Early Trades and Crafts. The building was designed by the partnership of Charles Brigham and Willard P. Adden of Boston, and is a prime example of Romanesque Revival. The building was a gift to the town from D. Willis James and was completed in 1900 and used as the town's library until the 1960s when it was acquired by the Lands as a site for the museum.
It was not known before that Charles Brigham was in a limited partnership with Willard P. Adden. Brigham and Adden also designed the James Building together, which is right across the street from this design.
Adden was from Reading, Mass. and was a draughtsman for Brigham from ca.1891 until ca.1895, whereupon he became an architect according to the Boston Directory. He was associated with the Brigham until ca.1903 and these designs are the only ones known in which Brigham and Adden were given equal billing in a design.
• National Register District
• National Register
• "Public Library, Madison, New Jersey," Architectural Review (Boston), 1901, January, Vol. 9, n.s. v. 4, p. 60.
• National Register Historic District, 1989, National Park Service #89002115.
• National Register of Historic Places, 1980, National Park Service #80002512, Charles Brigham, architect.
<<< Back to Design List