H.H. Rogers House

26 East 57th St.
New York, N.Y.

Year Built: ca. 1883

Built in ca. 1883 and demolished sometime before 1930. No picture is known to exist of this building.


• “John C. Spofford,” Massachusetts of Today, Columbia Publishing, 1892, p. 531 (“had charge of the construction of . . . the residence of H.H. Rogers in New York, one of the Standard Oil kings”).

• “John C. Spofford” Boston of To-day, Richard Herndon, Post Publishing, Boston, 1892, pp. 401-402 (Brigham & Spofford, H.H. Rogers mansion, New York City).

• "Brigham & Spofford," Illustrated Boston, Metropolis of New England, American Publishing and Engraving, New York, New York, 1889, p. 196 ("H.H. Rogers, New York City").

• Building Permit (alterations), 26 East 57th Street, New York, N.Y., addition to a five-story dwelling owned by H.H. Rogers, Charles Brigham, architect. New York Times, July 28, 1899, p. 10.

• “Architecture of H.H. Richardson and His Contemporaries in Boston and Vicinity: 1972 Annual Tour,” Society of Architectural Historians, Philadelphia, 1972, Margaret Henderson Floyd, (Sturgis & Brigham, H.H. Rogers Mansion, New York City, 1886)

• Manhattan Land Book, G.W. Bromley & Co., 1930, Plate 84. House has been demolished.

• "Charles Brigham," MacMillan Encyclopedia of Architects, Adolph Placzek, entry written by Margaret Henderson Floyd, 1982, p. 288-9 (H.H. Rogers House, 1886-1888, New York, N.Y., Charles Brigham architect).

• Atlas of New York City, E. Robinson, 1885, Plate 18. House present.

<<< Back to Design List

Home Page