New Bedford Institution for Savings

174 Union Street
New Bedford, Mass.

Year Built: 1897

At the main entrance on Union Street, visitors pass through a colonnade into a main hall with walls lined with Montarenti marble from Sienna, Italy. Above, the marble façade is a series of Corinthian pillars supporting a paneled ceiling. Between the pillars are nine sculpted windows that bathe the room in light.

Built in 1897. When this bank was built, it was the third largest bank building in the United States behind one in Boston and one in Philadelphia.


Registries

• National Register


References

• “Developer Drops Plans for Hotel at Historic Bank,” The Sun-Times (New Bedford), June 3, 2004, by David J. Ortiz, Page A1.

• National Register of Historic Places, 4/24/1980, Charles Brigham, architect.

• Massachusetts Historical Commission, Form B, New Bedford #1106, 9/8/1977

• "Charles Brigham," MacMillan Encyclopedia of Architects, Adolph Placzek, entry written by Margaret Henderson Floyd, 1982, p. 288-9 (New Bedford Institution for Savings, 1892-1894, Charles Brigham architect).

• "A New England Architect and His Work," Oscar Fay Adams, New England Magazine, June, 1907 (Charles Brigham, architect). http://www.millicentlibrary.org/brigham.htm

• "The Story of a ‘Town House,’" Mabel Hoyle Knipe, Fairhaven, Mass, 1977 (New Bedford Saving Bank, Charles Brigham, architect). http://www.millicentlibrary.org/townhall.htm

• American Architect and Building News, January 26, 1896, Charles Brigham, architect, noted

• Massachusetts Cultural Resources Information System, Massachusetts Historical Commission, Inventory No. NBE.1106 (New Bedford Institution for Savings, 1897, Charles Brigham, architect).

• New Bedford Semi-Centennial Souvenir, Journal of Commerce Company, Providence, 1897, pp. 26-27.


Images







1897


1897, Trustees Room


1897

<<< Back to Design List


Architecture
Home Page