28 Fort Street
Fairhaven, Mass.

The Mass. Historical Commission Form B indicates that this house is a Charles Brigham design, which is incorrect. The house was built in 1897 for Capt. Alexander Winsor II and designed by W.C. Collett of Boston.

The basis for the confusion is a reference in the Mass. Historical Commission Form B. It notes an article from the New Bedford Standard Times, dated August 31, 1941 that describes the disposition of many of the buildings upon the demolition of the Rogers mansion. This article is used as the reference for the belief that 28 Fort Street is the H.H. Rogers guest house. Nowhere in this article is 28 Fort Street mentioned or pictured. The house at 28 Fort Street is not the Rogers Guest House. An article in the Fairhaven Star indicates that 28 Fort Street was built in 1897 for Capt. Winsor and that it was designed by W.C. Collett of Boston.


• Massachusetts Cultural Resources Information System, Massachusetts Historical Commission, Inventory No. FAI.82 (Rogers Estate Guest House, 28 Fort Street, 1895 Charles Brigham, architect).

• “Fairhaven’s Progress,” Fairhaven Star, February 20, 1897, house for Alexander Winsor, designed by W.C. Collett.

• New Bedford Standard Times, August 31, 1941

<<< Back to Design List

Home Page