Russell Sturgis House

190 Marlborough Street
Boston, Mass.

Year Built: 1881

This house was built in 1881, and is part of the Back Bay Historic District and a National Register Historic District. There has been significant alteration to this building including, most dramatically, removal of the copper bay from the second floor. Other altered elements include the modified windows on the first level and the added windows to the second level.


Registries

• Local Historical District

• National Register District


References

• The American Architect and Building News, December 8, 1888, Sturgis & Brigham noted.

• Massachusetts Cultural Resources Information System, Massachusetts Historical Commission, Inventory No. BOS.3195 (Russell Sturgis House, 190 Marlborough Street, 1881, Sturgis & Brigham, architects).

• Building Permit, City of Boston, 5/16/1881, #90, Russell Sturgis (owner) Sturgis & Brigham (architects), 190 Marlborough Street.

• Back Bay Historic District, 9/3/1966.

• Back Bay National Register Historic District, 8/14/1973, National Park Service #73001948.

• “Architecture of H.H. Richardson and His Contemporaries in Boston and Vicinity: 1972 Annual Tour,” Society of Architectural Historians, Philadelphia, 1972, Margaret Henderson Floyd, (Sturgis & Brigham, 190 Marlborough Street, 1881, Sturgis House)


Images


190 Marlborough Street is on the right


190 Marlborough Street is on the right


190 Marlborough Street is on the right


2010


2010


2010


2010


2010


2010

<<< Back to Design List


Architecture
Home Page