William S. Appleton House
462 Beacon StreetThis building was built in 1891 and is part of the Back Bay Historic District and a National Register Historic District.
Year Built: 1891
• Local Historical District
• National Register District
• Back Bay Historic District, 9/3/1966.
• Building Permit, City of Boston, 10/10/1892, wooden piles, Sturgis & Brigham, architects. Building Permit, City of Boston, 5/11/1891, #111, William Appleton (owner), Brigham & Spofford (architects).
• “Architecture of H.H. Richardson and His Contemporaries in Boston and Vicinity: 1972 Annual Tour,” Society of Architectural Historians, Philadelphia, 1972, Margaret Henderson Floyd, (Brigham & Spofford, 462 Beacon Street, W.S. Appleton House, 1888)
• Massachusetts Cultural Resources Information System, Massachusetts Historical Commission, Inventory No. BOS.2986 (W.S. Appleton House, 462 Beacon Street, 1891, Brigham & Spofford, architects).
• Back Bay National Register Historic District, 8/14/1973, National Park Service #73001948.
<<< Back to Design List
2010, rear bay detail
2010, front bay