James Russell Lowell School
309 Orchard StreetBuilt in 1882 and altered beyond recognition in 1941. After the new James Russell Lowell School opened in 1925, this became the new North Branch of the Watertown Free Public Library. The building was "delivered to the town" on February 7, 1882. Various Watertown directories indication that the address of this building was White Street, which later became Waverley Avenue. Sometime the address was also 265 Orchard Street.
Year Built: 1882
Year Demolished: 1941
• Town Reports, Town of Watertown, Building Committee Report, 1882, p. 47 (the contract to design the building was given to Sturgis & Brigham, which ensures that it will be a good design. The school is at the corner of Orchard and White [Waverley Avenue] Streets. J.T. Blaisdell was the low bidder and is the builder.).
• Town Reports, Town of Watertown, Auditorís Report, 1882, p. 72 (new school house is on Orchard Street).
• Town Reports, Town of Watertown, School Committee Report, 1882, p. 6.
• "See Special Meeting to Provide Funds for North Branch Library," Watertown Enterprise-Tribune, March 21, 1941, p.4. Library (formerly J.R. Lowell School) to be substantially renovated.
<<< Back to Design List
Courtesy of the Watertown Free Public Library
Interior, as a library, courtesy of the Watertown Free Public Library