(Old) Sacred Heart Church
776 Mount Auburn StreetBuilt in 1893 and destroyed by fire in 1912. The new Sacred Heart Church that replaced this building was also designed by Brigham.
Year Built: 1893
Year Demolished: 1912
• Blessing of Our New School and Jubilee of Our Pastor, Sacred Heart Parish, December, 1930.
• "Will be Completed Next January," Boston Globe, July 13, 1912, p. 8 (original edifice destroyed by fire in February )
• Sacred Heart Parish Centennial Celebration, Watertown, Mass. 1993, pp. 3, 8-9.
• "Church of the Sacred Heart," Watertown Enterprise, September 1, 1893, p. 7 (Charles Brigham is the architect).
<<< Back to Design List
Rear of church from Belmont Street
The church is on the right
This image of the church was published in the Watertown Tribune-Enterprise on August 18, 1905. Interestingly, it shows a tower that was never built, but must have been part of an original design.
Watertown Tribune-Enterprise, January 12, 1912, page 1