George and Emma Wright House
68 Garfield StreetThis is a 2½-story Queen Anne, gable roof house, which has been profoundly altered. Originally, the house had Stick Style sills and buttresses and was clad in varying bands of shingles.
Year Built: 1888
The massive granite columns at the ground-level in the rear provided an interesting juxtaposition of materials. After a renovation, the house has been clad in stucco and the porch enclosed.
Nonetheless, the massing of the original building remains, substantially intact. There is a classic tower on the northeast portion of the building with a south-facing and a dormer from its roof. There is an east-facing dormer from the main gable. The entry porch contains a bracket-supported segmental roof. It appears that the house may have expanded into the porch, as houses of this style typically have a larger, asymmetrical porch. Most dramatic on this house are the massive granite columns in the rear at the basement level with segmental arches.
George and Emma Wright resided in this house from 1889-1930. George was Vice President of Watertown Savings Bank and this house was originally numbered 16 Garfield Street prior to May 31, 1912.
• Plan of Building Lots on the Brigham Estate, Middlesex South District Registry of Deeds, Plan Book 46, Page 47 (1885).
• Middlesex South Registry of Deeds, Book 1824, Page 264, Brigham to Wright, 11/7/1887 (land)
<<< Back to Design List
c.1890. The house is the 1st on the left and is without stucco. Courtesy of the Watertown Free Public Library
Close-up, courtesy of the Watertown Free Public Library
2007 house after renovation with stucco
2007, rear of house from Brigham Street
2007, front view